How to Clean Windows Without Streaks
Clean windows not only look great, but they make your home look brighter. One of the biggest challenges homeowners face is knowing how to clean windows without streaks. At Star Team Cleaning, we have over 20 years experience in the cleaning industry. Our window cleaning tips will show you how to have beautiful, streak-free glass.
Basic Window Washing Equipment Needed
Before you can start your streak free window cleaning, you will need to gather your tools. You will need:
- Squeegee – Best Length for Windows Is 25 to 30 Centimetres (10-12 In)
- Sponge or Scrubbing Pad
- Lint Free, Soft Rags or Paper Towel
- Pail or Other Container that Can Hold Three to Four Litres of Liquid
- Cleaning Solution – Home Made or Store Bought
Steps to Cleaning Windows Without Streaking
- Using a soft cloth or paper towel, gently wipe off the excess dirt and dust to avoid scratching the glass. When cleaning windows on the outside, you can spray them with a hose to remove the dirt.
- Wet your sponge or cloth with window washing solution and clean each pane thoroughly. Move in different directions to prevent streaks from developing. Be sure to wash the entire glass pane.
- Using a squeegee, place it at the top corner of your window and pull from side-to-side. Angle the squeegee downward so the excess cleaner flows down. Once you have finished each stroke, wipe the excess water from the blade. Repeat the process working down the glass pane until all the window cleaning solution is removed. Overlap each stroke with by four centimetres to make sure all the water is removed.
- Using a dry cloth, dry the entire pane around the glass thoroughly to remove all window washing solution residue.
Cleaning the Inside of Windows
- To clean windows inside your home, first wipe the glass with a dry cloth first to remove built up dirt. If your windows are really dirty, you can also use a vacuum to remove the loose dirt. Many come with attachments that can be used on smaller surfaces.
- Clean all hard-to-remove dirt first before cleaning your windows. Follow our tips below on the best way to wash windows with hard-to-remove dirt.
- Using your spray bottle with window cleaning solution, spray the glass thoroughly. Use a sponge or cloth to clean and dry the window. Move in different directions to prevent streaks. Make sure all the window washing solution and dirt is completely removed.
- You can also use a squeegee to clean indoor windows. If the windows are small, move your squeegee top-to-bottom rather than side-to-side working. Remove excess cleaner from your squeegee in between strokes.
- Wipe all excess window cleaning solution from the whole pane.
How to Clean Window Tracks
- Remove the screen from your window so you can clean the entire tract.
- Using a vacuum, remove all the loose dirt from inside the tract. If you vacuum has a narrow space or brush attachment, they can be used to get inside the tract.
- Lightly sprinkle baking powder evenly along the entire track. Spray the baking soda liberally with cleaning solution with vinegar and distilled water. Let mixture sit for several minutes.
- Use a paper towel or soft cloth to wipe the dirt and solution from inside the tract. Make sure your towel gets right into the corners so all the dirt is removed. Use a clean area of the cloth with each stroke so you are not streaking the area with dirt.
- If dirt remains, repeat the process until your clean window tracts are completely dirt free.
- Reinsert the screen.
Types of Window Cleaning Solutions to Use
There are several commercial window washing solutions on the market. The best way to clean windows without streaks is by avoiding brands that contain ammonia or alcohol because they are more prone to leave streaks.
You can also make your own DIY window cleaning solution using readily available ingredients.
Homemade Window Cleaning Solution
If you prefer to make your own window washing solution.
Cleaning windows with vinegar is a highly effective homemade solution that will give your windows a great, streak free clean. Mix one part white vinegar with ten parts distilled water in a spray bottle.
To make another streak free window cleaning DIY mixture, add a few drops of dish soap in a clean spray bottle filled with distilled water.
Using Vinegar to Clean Larger Windows
The best way to wash windows that are larger with vinegar, dip a sponge into the mixture. Squeeze the excess water out before washing your windows. Wash the entire surface of your large window wiping in different directions.
With your squeegee, start at the top of your window and wipe downward when cleaning the windows. Wipe the excess water off your squeegee surface each time you wipe your large window. Using a soft, dry lint free cloth, wipe the water residue off your whole window frame.
Tips For Hard-to-Clean Windows
When cleaning windows if you have hard-to-clean dirt on your windows, avoid using a razor, knife, or other sharp or abrasive objects to remove the stuck-on dirt. Sharp utensils could scratch your glass or cause small cracks.
The best way to clean windows with sticky debris like bug splatters, tree droppings, or certain foods is by using a nylon scrub. Always moisten and wipe a small section of the glass first to make sure the scrubbing pad will not scratch the glass.
Some stuck-on products like paint splatters can be removed using a commercially designed window scraper or old credit or bank card so the glass is not damaged when cleaning your windows.
To remove hard-to-clean grease, add 125 ml of ammonia into four litres of your homemade window cleaning solution. Wash your windows using a soft lint free cloth or sponge until all the grease is removed.
Tape, stickers, and labels can leave a sticky glue residue on your windows. At Star Team Cleaning, our best window cleaning tips involve using a commercial product or oil products found in your home to cover and loosen the sticky residue. Use a window scraper or old bank card to lift the glue off the glass.
Why are my windows streaking after I clean them?
Streaks found after cleaning windows could be caused by your window washing solution or the cloth. Not all cleaners are the same. Some commercial cleaners use different chemicals and have different evaporation rates. If the cleaner dries on the window before you remove all the excess, streaks will form.
Another window cleaning tip is to make sure you are using a soft, clean, lint free cloth. If your cloth is not absorbent or is dirty, it will leave streaks.
Is newspaper good for cleaning windows?
To answer how to clean windows with newspaper, there are a couple of things to consider. Newspaper is great for cleaning glass because it is made of non-abrasive, dense fibers packed tightly into strong, durable sheets that will clean windows without leaving streaks.
Some ink can leave streaks or smudges when cleaning windows. Some inks are made using oils like petroleum that could cause dark streaking or smudging.
Soy based inks will not leave streaks, smears or stains. Most newspapers are now made using soy based ink. If you are cleaning your windows with newspaper, make sure test the paper on a small surface to make sure it won’t leave streaks on your clean windows.
How do you clean baked on grease off glass?
To remove baked on grease off glass, sprinkle baking soda over the affected area. Spray your DIY vinegar and distilled water window cleaning solution over the baking soda. The vinegar and baking soda combination will start to bubble and fizz. Leave on for several minutes.
Use a non-abrasive scrub pad or cloth to wipe the grease off the area. Once the grease is off your glass window, cleaning windows with vinegar will give it an extra polish.
How do you get sticky labels off glass windows?
Knowing how to wash windows after removing sticky labels will save you a lot of frustration. Many store bought products will remove the sticky residue that tape, labels, and stickers leave behind. You can also use products commonly found in your home to clean windows.
Cooking oil, essential oils like eucalyptus oil and WD-40 remove glue residue effortlessly. Cover the affected area completely until it looks wet and let sit for several minutes. If the gluey dirt is really thick, let it sit longer when cleaning windows.
Use a commercial window scraper or an old credit or debit card to remove the residue. Repeat the steps as needed until all the glue residue is gone. Wash the windows using your window washing solution for a complete clean.
At Star Team Cleaning, we have been in the streak-free window cleaning business for over 20 years. Contact us today for your free cleaning windows estimate.
Services starting at just $175 per month.
Why Choose Start Team Cleaning
Our Team is Our Gold! All our cleaning team members are screened, carefully selected, and trained in the latest cleaning and safety techniques.
You can spot our teammates by a professional uniform with a photo ID. WSIB compliant.
- Locally Owned and Operated.
- 100% guarantee on quality
- Efficient cleaning technology.
- Thorough cleaning for a healthier work environment.
- Expert in all kinds of buildings.
- Remarkable attention to detail.
- Thorough and reliable cleaning every visit.
If you are looking for a reputable cleaning company and a responsible team, give us a call.
Let us figure out together the best schedule and package for your business.